Game Idea Research

 Game Idea Research


Balancing ball graphic, source: Shutterstock



After researching in more depth about creating games and what is involved, I came upon a brilliant piece of writing. "Gamification and Storytelling" by Marios Giakalaras. He explains on what are the most important things for creating games in general. These four things are Players, the actions carried out in the game, the payoffs the players receives from playing etc. and the information to guide the player through the game.

I have decided to choose the game idea that includes the 'balancing ball', which can be found here.(Game idea 1 from idea post). As simple as this idea sounds, I am very motivated to add different types of things into game idea to develop it further.

To start off, the game mechanics. They are very important to a game as it "Allows people playing a game to have an engaging but not necessarily a fun, experience". (Giakalaras, Marios. (2016). Gamification and Storytelling). I would like to include Badges to show the player that they are progressing and they can keep track of their achievement's. This could also lead into my next game mechanic, which is Levels. You can't level up if your haven't received your achievement badge from the previous level and so on.... I would also like to include Awards or Virtual Currency. If it was awards, it would be unlocking new 'skins' for your 'ball'. Or then you could collect a virtual currency from each round and can buy the 'skins' with that money.

Example of skins, source: Shutterstock

Some other things like Instant Death - Something causes the player to instantly die, for example spikes or falling off the path. would be included to make the game have more of a suspense.


What sort of game does my idea fit under?

Platformer games consist of jumping/getting through obstacles, example of this would be Mario Kart and how you have to turn and jump over obstacles, bypass enemies while being immersed in colourful and lovely graphics!





Comments

  1. Hello Linda! I enjoyed reading this post about your game idea and I like that you acknowledge that its a simplistic idea/game but you are willing to expand it and add things so its different and your own kind of game. The idea of adding skins for your character is a cool concept and possible adding a currency or points to earn would be a good idea! Best of luck creating this game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WWW Task: Hi Linda ! I found idea of this game very interesting and I think it is very easy for anyone to be able to play meaning it is good for a wide audience. I also really like the factor where are you have to collect different badges personally in games I love the collecting things so I found this aspect very good. Something I wonder is it this game can be played with two people I feel like that will be very fun and could be very competitive with friends I'm not sure how that could be implemented though. Adding on to the part about it being two player I I think if this was added you could make it so the first to five wins. Overall I really like the concept of this Game and if I saw it online I would definitely give it a play and a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Linda ! I really like your idea to include game badges , I think that motivates the player to carry on and play the game. This game sounds interesting and I also think Mario Kart is great so if this will turn out similar to Mario Kart it would be amazing!! I hope your idea come into reality because this sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again, Linda! Oh I love the little incentive of badges or rewards you give to players. this ads the feeling of accomplishment and gives the player the need to continue and earn more, so well done! I also want to say that I absolutly love platform games. such simple, yet complex little puzzle games that are fun and can be challenging to play. I love your idea of not progressing unless you have earned enough experience. :) I look forward to seing how this goes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alpha

Introduction to Linda's Life!

Game Brainstorm